- Bigots are infiltrating the environmental movement: the Center for New Community has put out a new report titled Apply the Brakes: A Report on Anti-immigrant Co-optation and the Environmental Movement.Â Â On the heels of this, imagine2050.netÂ reported:
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) released a new report today titled, Greenwash: Nativists, Environmentalism & the Hypocrisy of Hate.
The report details decades-old attempts by anti-immigrant groups â€“ all part of the John Tanton Network â€“ to lure environmentalists and environmental groups into adopting their anti-immigrant agenda.Â Read more here.
- In case you missed it, here’s the video of the publicity stunt that immigrant rightsÂ activists pulled at this year’s progressive Netroots Nation gathering.
- A story claiming that Mexican drug cartels had seized ranches in Laredo Texas turned out to be a hoax, apparently created by extremists in the Tea Party crowd.Â In fact, even some conservative bloggers denounced the story as a lie.Â Check out this conservative blog that conducted an interview on this topic.
- GALEO & the Georgia Latino Vote announced the launch of the “Orale! 10” campaign video and radio Public Service Announcements.Â Here are the TV ads and here are theÂ radio ads.Â The “Orale! 10” campaign’s goal is to register 100,000 new Latino and pro-immigrant voters in time for the General Election in November.
- Speaking of reports, the Immigration Policy Center has released this analysis of how, in fact, there will be a multitude of training problems if police are expected to enforce Arizona’s SB 1070 law.
- Check out Puente Arizona’s note on how social media has helped fuel the movement to opposeÂ SB 1070.Â You can access Puente Arizona’s flickr stream here.Â
- Showing that opposition to Arizona’ authoritarian police law is comingÂ not only fromÂ Democrats but alsoÂ from Republicans: sign the “Not In My America” petition, which is based on Republican Congressman Connie Mack’sÂ piece on the Washington Post in which heÂ lays out why conservatives should oppose Arizona’s immigration law.Â Here’s the campaign’s promo video:
- If you haven’t already, check out the film Entre Nos, an inspirational new movie and true story about an immigrant mom devoted to keeping her family together and making a better life for her young kids.
- The AFL-CIOÂ callsÂ on members of Congress to take immediate steps to pass the DREAM Act in 2010 as down payment to Comprehensive Immigration Reform.Â Sources say resolutions such as these are being closely monitored by Senator Reid.Â Has your organization passed such a resolution yet?Â